This blog is dead.

The blog is moving. I no longer intend on posting here or updating this site, but you're welcome to join me at yanatails.blogspot.ca.

hi

Friday, June 4, 2010

"Had it been another day..."

Not one of the more commonly known Beatles' songs, this piece is one of my favourites.
"I've Just Seen a Face" jumped into my top twelve songs list after I watched "Across the Universe", which, in my opinion, really captured the joy of this song - and the moment of love at first sight.

The original recording with lyrics is on the left, and a clip from Across the Universe is on the right.




"I've Just Seen a Face" is quite a unique Beatles' song, featuring a fast-paced bluegrass/country rhythm and some interesting rhyming combinations if you listen carefully. Also, for some reason, the Beatles never performed the song live.

Perhaps because this piece was mostly a bluegrass experiment of Paul McCartney and the band didn't love it too much. Maybe it's because McCartney had played this song often at home and with relatives ("I've just seen a Face" was a favourite of his Aunt), and didn't want to share this special private family connection with the world. Or mayhaps, that special moment can only be captured once.

I'm not sure if I believe in love at first sight - that question will come up later in another Beatles song - but along with first impressions and the milestones in our lives, there are so many thoughts and emotions that go on in a short period of time, sometimes I wish the clock really should just pause - to give us a time to gather our thoughts or to experience each emotion one at a time.

But no, we don't live in a movie (... unless we live in the Matrix? =P) where time can speed up, freeze, or go in slow motion at will. Instead, we end up with a short, fast-paced dance number that leaves us with a blur of memories. But there's a certain beauty in this blur of emotions, and that's what makes these moments, and this song, so wonderful.


Words to think about:
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." - Beethoven

No comments:

Post a Comment