This blog is dead.

The blog is moving. I no longer intend on posting here or updating this site, but you're welcome to join me at yanatails.blogspot.ca.

hi

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Well begun is half done.

Essay-a-Week Challenge - Week 6
"June 10th: One Movie Everyone Should See"
Whether a chick flick or a slasher, take go ahead and gush about a film you love.
Topics from, A Bookful Blockhead.

I will be in New York for the next couple of days, so I present to you the first half of this post. The second half is already written, at least in my mind, but I'll leave you with my usual preamble for now; I hope for a surprise early next week. But for now...

There is a bit of contradiction between this week's title and its subject, since a film that I love is not necessarily the one movie everyone should see. More importantly, I don't watch many movies (not that I don't like them - there are some that I love!). I tend to watch movies only when the occasion arises - in a class, when friends organize something, on a long flight. As a result, there's a long list of classics and blockbusters and films with critical acclaim I have not seen [that I'm sure to read about in the upcoming week]; the likelihood of the "one movie everyone should see" falling into the category of "movies I have seen" isn't very high. (hidden premise: I shouldn't label a movie as "one movie everyone should see" until I have seen it).

I consider this wave of topics, starting last week, to be part of the second theme: choices (the first theme being personal knowledge). We are tasked with choosing a favourite book, movie, film, or dessert, and then asked to defend our choice. In reading the posts of several bloggers, I found the reasoning for their favourite book to be just as interesting as the book itself. One of my favourite posts of the past week (from, "This could end badly") concluded that "the book that everyone should read" should be a children's book.

I will apply the same logic here, and say that "the book everyone should read" should be a children's movie. Possibly because I'm biased, and I grew up in the Golden Age of Disney Animation. Also probably because I watched more movies when I was a kid. But perhaps it's because the movies that convey simple themes through light-hearted plots filled with songs and music are what people really need. These movies are not only geared for the kids but for their parents too.

The movie I believe everyone should see is a musical film, based on a children's book.

... to be updated early next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment