This blog is dead.

The blog is moving. I no longer intend on posting here or updating this site, but you're welcome to join me at yanatails.blogspot.ca.

hi

Friday, November 2, 2012

Chapter 2: Naked I Came

Chapter 2: Naked I Came

November 1, 2013

Dear God,
please please calm me during this speech
I pray that you talk through me!
In Jesus’ name
Amen

*****

“Esteemed guests, faculty, graduates, family, and friends, I am honoured yet humbled to stand here today as the class valedictorian, to say a final farewell to our few years together. Insignificant as they may have seemed as we now pursue jobs and professional degrees, I think we can all agree that earning the pieces of paper we now hold in your hand was part of one of the most exciting and engaging experiences of our life.

“It’s been a joy to be a part of the University of Toronto community over the last four years, I met quite a few of your as I canvassed to be our class representative. I may have met you in orchestra, on the lacrosse team, with the jazz band, or through Doctors Without Borders - and yet there are still so many of you I have never met, names I never heard until today. I think it just speaks to our great diversity, both in terms of the people we are, as well as this wonderful school we go to.

“For myself, school’s really been an exciting ride. I came into my first year worried and frightened by the excitement of frosh week, the stories of intense classwork and unforgiving professors, and rumours of students going insane during exams and project season. But here I am, and here you all are - we’ve survived” - a few screams from the audience come in here - “lived to tell the tale of our school lives, and are now all ready for the next step.”

“As both a musician and an athlete, I’ve learned much about having the time of my life despite being in a field crowded with other students aiming to be the lucky few who are the best of the best. But there is so much more than the piano recital and the volleyball tournaments.” - another wave of yells spread through the crowd, presumably as our team had just won the provincial championships a week ago. “Looking back, I know that my life isn’t defined by those willing moments, and times of glory. It’s those times of hard work, suffering, and just being with my friends and doing the things I love, that have truly made the last four years the blessing that it has been.

I talked more about my experiences abroad, and how they changed me. I had done some missions work in Ghana, mainly working in small communities in the Northern part of the nation, a stark rural and impoverished region compared to the richer south. While my medical experience there was limited - I only helped out with some paperwork, as I’m not even in medical school yet - I really appreciated the ability to serve the community and interact with the patients that came to the clinic. “And thus, it’s not always about what you could have done, but about what you learned and what you can gain from it.”

“Lastly, I want to end with three final comments. First, no matter what you end up doing, be blameless and upright. Of course, avoid making mistakes - but none of us are perfect. It is thus important that we stand upright - that even though we may make errors, we can always have good intentions. Always work with a good conscience, so that those who revile your good behaviour may be put to shame.

“Even more importantly, second - remember that you are human, that all of us came naked from our mother’s wombs. Yes, some were born in richer families, others born in poor conditions, others with genetic disorders, but none of us, university education or not, are entitled to any more than any other. What I learned the most from working with young adults in Ghana was that they are always happy, always smiling - perhaps they’ve figured life more than we do. Here, we are obsessed over material goods, fashion, and technology. Just remember that stripped to the bones, we are all the same, 206 pieces that come together to make the dynamic creature that each one of us are. Remember this always, and strive to live as humans who aim to connect with as many people as possible.

“Lastly, enjoy every moment. I would not be speaking here today if I was unable to stand the all-nighters, the challenges in our biochemistry assignments, the long orchestra practices, the sports tournaments, and confronting my fears in Ghana. Every difficult moment will come to serve you in the future, so try to cherish each moment. Most vital to me, is the Lord and my faith that all affliction that we suffer is for our good, helping us to comfort others, build hope, and strengthen our endurance. Ultimately, the Lord gives and the Lord takes away - Blessed be the name of the Lord.

“Stand upright, remember you’re human, and enjoy every moment. All the best in your endeavors, and may the Lord and His love be with you. Thank you all.” I once again shook the hand of the dean, and walked off the stage to some generous applause. With everyone seated, spaces were much fewer, though I managed to find one close to the front. Speeches past, and eventually came the presentation of an honorary degree to our keynote speaker, followed by her brief speech. Exhausted by this point, I failed to catch her name - I think she was a playwright who became a Member of Parliament or something.

She did say something that stuck to me though, as I realized that she had started practically criticizing the words that I had just said. In her high-pitched voice, she dictated, “It’s easy to tell people to ‘seize the day’ when your own day is going so well. But when life’s in the gutter, why sit down and enjoy it? It’s our job to strive to climb out of the gutter and always demand of ourselves something better.” It’s an interesting idea, but it is too warm and I’m too tired to decide on whether I agree or disagree with her thoughts. I end up slinking back into my chair, looking at the heads in front of me, and trying to stay awake.

Luckily the ceremony is soon over, and I find myself in the cooler atrium, snacking on some cookies. There’s a line for the lemonade that’s a bit too long to make lining up worthwhile, though talking to my classmates has made my throat quite dry. I took a few pictures with those I’d met in the orchestra, and had a brief chat with my coach. The afternoon is going well, but I feel that I’m ready to go home - if only I could find Helvetia in the crowd. I couldn’t call her either, as I’d let her hold on to my phone while I’d been on stage, as I’ve always been paranoid that my phone would suddenly start ringing while I game a speech. I continue to wander around the room, sifting through some familiar faces and observing the broken pieces of cookies that are spread about among the plates in the lab. Suddenly, I notice the Dean, bee-lining right for me. Expecting some praise for my speech, I stopped in my tracks when he asked me to go with him to his office. Immediately. I look at his slightly twisted face. I follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment