This blog is dead.

The blog is moving. I no longer intend on posting here or updating this site, but you're welcome to join me at yanatails.blogspot.ca.

hi

Friday, July 24, 2009

Strive for the Light

The last week, the last day - has been a whirlwind of thought, of memories, of emotions; of great times, great people, great passions. And with a personal habit, for better or for worse, I tend to love a peaceful, quite atmosphere where I can reflect and psychoanalyze anything that comes to mind - to the extent that I've just left the words "lost in thoughts" as my personal message which I likely will remove soon after writing this note.
Thus, I find myself in perhaps my favourite spot in the house - sitting on the piano bench. It's not necessarily the piano; this happens to also be the most well lit room in the house - with two large windows right beside the piano enlightening the room with the pouring sunlight.
Perhaps it's my favourite place because of the sounds of the loud ticking clocks that I tend to favour - coupled with my own, loud ticking watch, that remind me that time goes on, and we move forward. Perhaps it's that metronome that sits atop the piano as a reminder that life, like music, is a mix of emotions, mood, and tempo.
And definitely, the support of the piano stool; sure, it has no backrest, no arm rests - but it has provided all the lift and push from that young day, near 12 years ago, when I first sat in front of this portal, this gateway - 88 keys of pure, wonderful, escape.
Sitting in my own Room of Inspiration - full of light and often filled with music, I realize that I often spend my time... looking down. Looking down at my fingers, the ivory keys (well, not really ivory), and even looking down at this notebook of "crazy thoughts" that I have started writing in. I don't really know what all this looking down means, besides building a high probability of arthritis in later years... I'm not a psychologist (though I may need one some day =P), but it does remind me of something...
I move upstairs to my room, lay on my bed, and look up at the windowsill; my newly acquired "night-market" miniature pet turtle, somewhat appropriately named Bubble Tea, is currently on an eleven day fast. Why? I don't know, and I do honestly wish he (or she) would eat... but there's one thing I notice: the sun is out, and so is Bubble Tea - neck extended, and head pulled as high as the little turtle could muster - towards the light... looking up.
Light is a wonderful thing; as God said, "Let there be Light!" So much the fusion that ignites the sun and brightens our little solar system - but ever more the perfect distance, perfect atmosphere, and perfect magnetic field, that keeps this beautiful planet sustainable for an ever larger miracle - you and me.
We want to live in the light, walk in the light, and aim for the light, as we aim to enlighten ourselves. This is so fundamental to our very nature. To nearly every creature on Earth - the sun, this light, is vital to any sense of life. And I believe it's worth so much more than it's importance for the energy cycle; we strive for the light.
Which makes me wonder - what would is Bubble Tea living in? Is he (or she) basking in the light merely to sustain his cold-blooded body - or is he (or she) too, seeking a greater truth outside that plastic container, those manufactured pellets (that he doesn't eat), and Lego slide?
Perhaps he's moved on to a greater level of thinking, a newer approach of light. And I'm not referring to the fact that the visible spectrum of turtles are different than our own. As the turtle stares out that window that lets in our light, he is out into his world of thought.
Another source of inspiration and knowledge are in the words of the great musicians:
"Imagine no possessions... no need for greed, or hunger"...
How many times do we need to look out the window to see the light?
I have no answers, but as I return to the piano bench, with the music of John Lennon on the stand in front of me, the church hymnbooks within reach, stacked on the piano to my left, and Beethoven's sonatas in the drawer on my right, I really do think to myself, "What a Wonderful World".
All the best, to Strive for the Light!

No comments:

Post a Comment