This blog is dead.

The blog is moving. I no longer intend on posting here or updating this site, but you're welcome to join me at yanatails.blogspot.ca.

hi

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Trip Debriefing!

I haven't posted much in the past week. With visiting the ROM, travel shopping, CPR training, and packing, in the last few days, I've built up quite a backlog of posts to write. I might slip in some thoughts on the week's events in later posts, but as I leave in nine hours, this is perhaps a good time to debrief. Or to explain what I'm going to be doing the next few weeks.

Where: Well, as the newly added banner says, Taiwan. My parents' home country, my background and culture. Though I was born in Canada, Taiwanese was my first language (my English exposure was mainly through Sesame Street until I got to kindergarten), and I aim to be an active member in the Taiwanese-Canadian community in Toronto. I will spend the first few weeks in Taipei, as a part of a program, followed by a ten day tour of the beautiful island, or "Ilha Formosa". I will spend the last week in Tainan, where most of my family lives.

What and Why: The last time I went back to Taiwan was in the winter of Grade 10 (so three and a half years ago), skipping a week of acid-base chemistry (+ two weeks of Christmas holidays) with my family to visit relatives and see the changes in Taiwan (the time before that was third grade). This visit will give me the opportunity to see Taiwan on my own (well, without family) and learn more about its culture - to a level that I might not have been able to appreciate a few years ago.

I mentioned that I would be with a program. It's about four weeks long (Taipei time + 10 day tour). Officially known as the "Overseas Compatriot Youth Formosa Study Tour to Taiwan" and nicknamed Love Boat, the program is government-sponsored with the aim of teaching overseas students about their roots. To me, it's also an opportunity to meet other second-generation Taiwanese and to enjoy Taiwan. Of course, to have fun. And shop. And eat. =D

When and How: nine hours after this is posted. on a plane - for about a day. Toronto → Chicago → Tokyo → Taipei.

Goals: (well, besides staying safe, learning new things, and meeting new people): Hopefully, I can keep a daily blog. Ultimately this depends on internet access, but knowing Taiwan, that shouldn't be a problem. I now have a non-cameraphone phone on me, so that should hopefully lead to more pictures.

An update on post themes, I will keep the "Beatles Song on the Week", while the "If I Worked for Google" posts will be written when relevant. I also aim to have a Sunday post centered around a passage or verse from the Bible that will be related to the week's events. Lastly, I have made the conscious decision for Casper to remain at home. Other than my mom hinting that it was "ridiculous" to bring Casper to Taiwan, he does take up space, and I'm incredibly paranoid about losing him. Nevertheless, I am carrying a smaller tiger with me. Casper can stay at home an update me on what's happening in Toronto. Besides, he hasn't even written a post this summer yet. How lazy =P.

That's about it for now. I know I've forgotten to write some stuff as I'm afraid I might have forgotten to pack stuff, but as long as I have my passport and my laptop, I'm set =). Besides, I'll just buy it in Taiwan? =D

- last post in Canada. oh, and by the way, don't try calling/texting my cellphone anymore.
oh, and lastly. if you're interested in Taiwan, I have written a few articles regarding about growing up in Toronto as a second-generation Taiwanese-Canadian. Links are below!

http://tcatoronto.com/Together/2007-08.htm#19 ("Conferences: Time Well Spent")
http://tcatoronto.com/Together/2008-08.htm#12 ("Carrying Your Own Torch")
http://aythoughts.blogspot.com/2009/08/reaching-for-top.html ("Reaching for the Top")

"Together" is a local magazine produced by the Taiwanese Canadian Association in Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment