This blog is dead.

The blog is moving. I no longer intend on posting here or updating this site, but you're welcome to join me at yanatails.blogspot.ca.

hi

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 34 (Aug 11): Proteomics

As instructed by my mom over the phone ("Austin, you've got to get better quickly!), I was starting to feel better as I recovered with the help of some pills, lots of rest, support from my relatives in Taiwan, and the pressure to get out of bed and to explore Tainan in my final week. Today, as planned weeks in advance, I was to visit my mom's former university and meet one of her former colleagues back when my mom had studied biochemistry.

My second aunt drove me to the National Cheng Kung University, where I was dropped off at the hospital to meet my mom's friend as well as her daughter, who I had met the previous year when she visited Toronto and I gave her a tour of the city. This time, I was the tourist. My mom's friend works in the field of proteomics, and showed me some of the devices and machines in her lab. [While writing this, nearly six months afterwards, I am starting my first course completely focussed on proteins - hopefully, I'll be able to understand more and more about the things she showed me.]

She showed me around the new hospital building, and then brought me to the old hospital, which is still used for research purposes. She also showed me some gels (from protein gel electrophoresis), and the devices, while various people that I was introduced to seem to find some fun (and challenge) in trying to explain applications/information to me through the language barrier.

Soon, by my second aunt's orders, I was dropped back at my grandma's home by noon. As you have probably noticed, I failed to keep my camera on me that day, and actually, my memory for these few days seem to be a bit fuzzy. I do, however, remember lunch at my grandma's house with my family, though I've been informed that this meal actually took place the day before (but since I've already used that post as a note on healthcare, I'll slip it in today). We had gathered together to commemorate my grandfather, following some Taiwanese customs, before sharing a lunch that my grandma had prepared.

Soon, I was back at my second aunt's home resting, and working on my down south trip map, which was to be published just two days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment