This blog is dead.

The blog is moving. I no longer intend on posting here or updating this site, but you're welcome to join me at yanatails.blogspot.ca.

hi

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Project Genesis

I've only posted three times in the last two months, but I'm back! A busy third year is already well underway, and as I slowly accustom myself to getting up for daily 8:30 classes and adjust to the school routine. Already halfway through my undergrad degree (hopefully), there's a lot going on right now: the hunt for a thesis supervisor has begun, while plans for post artsci years have begun to materialize. We also celebrated the Arts & Science Programme's thirtieth year anniversary last weekend, and the third year biochemists have kept busy with our 3P03 projects. A side-project has also been setting up the website for the Taiwanese Human Rights Association of Canada. It frequently slips onto the backburner, so I figure writing it here will bring me back to work on it, but feel free to give me any suggestions if you have any!

This post feels a little strange since I am used to writing in past tense. Writing a daily post usually involves detailing the days events, and many of my postings follow that pattern. But today's a day for the present because I am shifting the purpose of this site once again. (I have not given up on the Essay-a-Week posts yet! I think I'm only two posts from the end...).

I was recently inspired by Matt Cutt's short TED talk: "Try something new for 30 days", embedded below. Simply put, thirty days is a good indicator for trying to add a daily habit - it's short enough to commit to it daily (i.e. a year might be too much), and long enough to see if it's practical. 


Updating this site daily is something I said I'd do a couple times, though I've never pulled it off. But I'll try again this October, and try to hit two birds with this project. So here's what to expect each day for the rest of the month, and if I successfully complete it, perhaps I'll find something new to try next month!

Project Genesis, named for being the first project, and because of the nature of the task.

Each day, I aim to:
1) Post a picture I've taken that day with my phone. 
2) Accompany that picture with a Bible Verse. The verse (or verses) must be found via a paper copy and typed out, not by Googling a description of my picture and finding an adequate verse.

The goal is to have a greater appreciation, and be more observant, of the world around me, as I pause and take the time to take a picture of something. Also, as I take part in Christian Fellowship at school, I want to refocus some of my daily time into reflecting in God's Word. 

So here's day 1:

A gift from my Housemate - a Bible with a customized biochem-themed cover.
ASX-ILE-ASX-LEU-GLU. Thanks, Jer.

"Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said,
'Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it.'"
- Genesis 28:16

No comments:

Post a Comment